Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Shame on you BET"

I remember the days of Donnie Simpson (A.K.A. Mister greeneyes) on Video Soul (bet you ain't heard that in a while). I often think about the contrasts between the BET of old, and the BET of new. I find it somewhat embarassing to have shows that degrade not only black women, but black men as well. When I look at the world, I look at it from a multi-cultural perspective, which is based on my experiences with various individuals of different faiths, ethnicities, and backgrounds. The show "The Boot" comes to mind. While it is entertaining to say the least, it has the sentiments of black exploitation written all over it. Just this evening an episode was on and the young "black" female was down to two final contestants. While she was explaining her likes and dislikes of both gentlemen ( two "black" men), she finally chose the one who peaked her interests. When the unlucky gentleman got the boot, he proceeding by throwing a drink in her face. I felt so shame for the female, as well a shameful feeling for the guy. Now, people of other races see this. If I feel shame and embarassment for the two individuals, then what do think others are thinking.

I believe its safe to say BET is pimping black folks with meaningless bull**** to keep us unfocused on real issues. Do these shows really promote family values, meaningful relationships, which are things lacking in our communities, I say, "yes". Maybe it's just me. Am I being to old-fashioned, or am I merely stating the obvious? Have our feelings and hearts become so cold that we would rather see a sistah half naked, and seeing someone throw a drink in her face because she didn't choose him for a date.

We must be forward thinking. I don't write for the fun it; although I love to write, but I write material to change minds; to revolutionize our minds in to getting back on track. We have along way to go, but I'm optimistic about our ability to progress.

No comments: